Skip to main content

Interrogations of Meta

It has come to my attention that some readers do not understand what meta is, or they wish I would specify a rule or criterion in deciding what is meta or what is not.

I am too lazy to do this, and I would refer these people back to my 2nd blog post where Rachel lays out what meta means in philosophy speak.

And I would add that the whole point of meta is that sometimes, you just KNOW. It doesn't require explanation. It's that gut feel, "oh hey, how meta!" What, you haven't had that?

But I will say this. There are two main lines of questioning when it comes to meta.

First we have the comparatives:
"Out of X, Y, and Z, which is the most meta?"

Then we have the absolutes:
"Is there such a thing as a meta X
or
Can a meta version of a Y exist
or
Is Z meta? I can't decide."

I'm still grappling with which sort to pursue, so for now it will be a mix of both.

Comments

  1. Is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma meta?

    The question occurred to me after I saw a "Chile Relleno Burrito" on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heck yes. i must blog about this soon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The meta-cokebottle

Here's the weekend blog, folks - I'll be gone for two days. Story below brought to you by Richard Lyon, father and meta-nerd.... * My first exposure to meta, besides meta-physics, which I took to mean religion, and therefore not nearly as interesting as physics, was the meta key on keyboards at the MIT AI Artificial Intelligence lab in the late 1970s. They had invented this moby text editor called "emacs" (according to its radical inventor rms, NOT named for the nearby Boston ice-cream shop, Emack & Bolio's , which was named for a couple of homeless guys , even if the text justifier "bolio" was so named). Emacs used what we call "control" or "modifier" keys to control its actions; but "ctrl" was not enough--no, they also had super, meta , and hyper, not to mention front, shift, and top on their space-cadet keyboards . Typical long-form commands were like "meta-x query replace"; here the text "qu...

UPDATED: A tattoo of Tattoo!

This is a tattoo of Tattoo, Mr. Roarke's midget assistant from the show Fantasy Island . Played by Herve Villechaize. No, I had never heard of Tattoo either. It's probably a generational thing. I've included a video of the real Tattoo, for reference. See below.. AWESOME UPDATE!!** The fellow whose arm this is commented below, sharing his story about the tattoo with the world. Thanks Joey! Joey said... "That's my arm you got up there =). The story behind this is my dad asked me why I get tattoos. I told him because I love art. I asked him if he would ever get one. Being the smart ass he is he said "I would get a tattoo of Tattoo from Fantasy Island". I thought that was brilliant and since I have tattoos for my mother, grandmother's and past ex's, I thought it would be nice to get something for the man that raised me. Here's to you Pop"

An Igloo Made of Igloos

This may count as brand interference, or even product placement, but I don't care because it's still meta. Thanks Igloo!  I myself just bought a cute Igloo tote bag at Target to carry drinks in disguise to the park during #coronavirus - big fan. Thank you Marie for this wonderful and timeless contribution to the blog. Keep #thingsthataremeta alive forever!