Skip to main content

My first fan mail, Danes, and Fedex!

I thought I'd post it (some excerpts).  From an old friend named Zack.
 
Hey, Susan!


I hope all's very well with you. It's been years now, hasn't it.


I'm gonna have to tell you straight-up, I read your blog a couple weeks ago and I haven't stopped thinking of 'meta' since......


That same afternoon after I read this, I was at my Swedish meetup group (as one would), talking to this guy, who mentioned that he knew one word in Danish. "Dansk," which is "Danish" -- IN DANISH! I told him how meta this was, but he didn't seem to understand just how incredible this was. Which is only funnier because I told him that it's a fact, actually, that every other Danish girl must be named Mette (pronounced exactly as I'm implying).


Also, I heard my co-worker the other day telling someone on the phone that she was going to FedEx them a FedEx envelope, IN A FEDEX ENVELOPE. I got really excited about this, but I kept it to myself because I just didn't think anybody would understand.


By the way, on the meta front, I discovered this the other day when I was researching textile patterns.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canting_arms I think it's the closest thing to visual meta I can imagine.


And the 'in-joke' it discusses. It just kills me.


*

Thank you Zack!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The meta-cokebottle

Here's the weekend blog, folks - I'll be gone for two days. Story below brought to you by Richard Lyon, father and meta-nerd.... * My first exposure to meta, besides meta-physics, which I took to mean religion, and therefore not nearly as interesting as physics, was the meta key on keyboards at the MIT AI Artificial Intelligence lab in the late 1970s. They had invented this moby text editor called "emacs" (according to its radical inventor rms, NOT named for the nearby Boston ice-cream shop, Emack & Bolio's , which was named for a couple of homeless guys , even if the text justifier "bolio" was so named). Emacs used what we call "control" or "modifier" keys to control its actions; but "ctrl" was not enough--no, they also had super, meta , and hyper, not to mention front, shift, and top on their space-cadet keyboards . Typical long-form commands were like "meta-x query replace"; here the text "qu...

UPDATED: A tattoo of Tattoo!

This is a tattoo of Tattoo, Mr. Roarke's midget assistant from the show Fantasy Island . Played by Herve Villechaize. No, I had never heard of Tattoo either. It's probably a generational thing. I've included a video of the real Tattoo, for reference. See below.. AWESOME UPDATE!!** The fellow whose arm this is commented below, sharing his story about the tattoo with the world. Thanks Joey! Joey said... "That's my arm you got up there =). The story behind this is my dad asked me why I get tattoos. I told him because I love art. I asked him if he would ever get one. Being the smart ass he is he said "I would get a tattoo of Tattoo from Fantasy Island". I thought that was brilliant and since I have tattoos for my mother, grandmother's and past ex's, I thought it would be nice to get something for the man that raised me. Here's to you Pop"

An Igloo Made of Igloos

This may count as brand interference, or even product placement, but I don't care because it's still meta. Thanks Igloo!  I myself just bought a cute Igloo tote bag at Target to carry drinks in disguise to the park during #coronavirus - big fan. Thank you Marie for this wonderful and timeless contribution to the blog. Keep #thingsthataremeta alive forever!