Skip to main content

The Review Review

http://www.thereviewreview.net/

The title speaks for itself. I do find it very enlightening though.  An online review of literary reviews!

The Review Review Story

In the spring of 2008, I stopped submitting to literary magazines. As a fiction writer, trying to get my work published felt as futile and inconsequential as trying to write my name on a snowflake. I spent so much time sending work out and buying envelopes, printer ink, stamps, and paper only to receive one after another rejection letter, sometimes not even written on a full piece of paper but cut from the bottom third, as if rejection of my work were not even worth wasting a full page.

Of course getting published is not easy and if it were, the rewards would not feel so valuable and hard-won. And I know that public recognition can take months, years, if not a lifetime or more.

However, I also felt that there was something unsettling about this entire process. I was not reading any literary magazines. Not only did I not subscribe to any, I hardly cared what was in them. There were even the magazines in which I'd had stories appear, magazines in which I'd won contests. Even those I didn't read.

Worse, I was not the only writer like this. What I found when I talked to my peers was that everyone wanted to be published in these magazines, but no one knew who published what, who edited which magazines, which ones were printed from universities and which were independent, or at the very least which magazines they liked and which they didn't.

Wanting to get published in lit mags had started to feel like doing community service so that it would look good on your college application. That is to say, lit mags did not represent pleasure, engagement or intellectual growth, but merely a stepping stone toward recognition from book editors and maybe agents.

At first, this discovery was comforting. I'm not alone, I thought. No one reads these things! But the more I considered the situation, the worse I began to feel. How could we expect lit mags to care about our work, when we didn't care about theirs? Why would anyone make time or pay money for our stories if we were unwilling to take a lit mag on our morning commute or shell out the twenty bucks a year for a subscription?

With over 150 print journals, however, it can be hard to know where to begin.

So I decided to make this website. Here, writers can get a deeper sense of the journals by reading reviews of the latest issues. This is not intended as a substitute for the actual journals, but merely a way to guide writers toward the journals that most interest them. Plus, this site offers a way for writers to keep in contact with editors. A story might not be right for a magazine, for instance, but a thoughtful and heartfelt review will be sure to make editors aware of your writing skills.

Through speaking to more editors, I also learned how challenging this process is for them. The magazine staffs are small and so are the budgets. Yet editors continue to labor over their projects, just as writers labor over theirs. This site, I hope, can give much-deserved feedback to editors. Through the "Editors Speak" section, editors can also have an opportunity to talk a little about their journals. Thus the entire process can feel less like community service and more like an actual community.

I hope that you--writers, editors, educators, friendly visitors--will find something useful on this site. Hopefully you will get information that helps you. Even better, you will feel inspired to keep up all the hard work.

Becky Tuch
Founding Editor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The meta-cokebottle

Here's the weekend blog, folks - I'll be gone for two days. Story below brought to you by Richard Lyon, father and meta-nerd.... * My first exposure to meta, besides meta-physics, which I took to mean religion, and therefore not nearly as interesting as physics, was the meta key on keyboards at the MIT AI Artificial Intelligence lab in the late 1970s. They had invented this moby text editor called "emacs" (according to its radical inventor rms, NOT named for the nearby Boston ice-cream shop, Emack & Bolio's , which was named for a couple of homeless guys , even if the text justifier "bolio" was so named). Emacs used what we call "control" or "modifier" keys to control its actions; but "ctrl" was not enough--no, they also had super, meta , and hyper, not to mention front, shift, and top on their space-cadet keyboards . Typical long-form commands were like "meta-x query replace"; here the text "qu

HIATUS

Thank you "anonymous contributor" for this guest post. (To all who follow Susan's twitter @suzliz: I was the one who left that voicemail. If you've got a problem with that, the door's in the back.) And this one comes from a friend of a friend: A "HIATUS" is when the cigarette is being passed around a circle of people; it comes to you, and instead of hitting and passing, you "Hit It And Tell A (think of it phonetically - "Uh") Story". (The story could be about anything. The point is that you're telling it, and the cigarette is wasting away between your fingers. You're doing a HIATUS, taking a HIATUS, whatever.) The meta here is when a cigarette is traveling around; the cigarette comes to you, and you take the time to explain what a HIATUS is... thus doing a HIATUS right then and there. ** Editor's note: I'm pretty sure this is the PG version of this post, but I'll leave that to your speculation.

UPDATED: A tattoo of Tattoo!

This is a tattoo of Tattoo, Mr. Roarke's midget assistant from the show Fantasy Island . Played by Herve Villechaize. No, I had never heard of Tattoo either. It's probably a generational thing. I've included a video of the real Tattoo, for reference. See below.. AWESOME UPDATE!!** The fellow whose arm this is commented below, sharing his story about the tattoo with the world. Thanks Joey! Joey said... "That's my arm you got up there =). The story behind this is my dad asked me why I get tattoos. I told him because I love art. I asked him if he would ever get one. Being the smart ass he is he said "I would get a tattoo of Tattoo from Fantasy Island". I thought that was brilliant and since I have tattoos for my mother, grandmother's and past ex's, I thought it would be nice to get something for the man that raised me. Here's to you Pop"