Skip to main content

Waterfalls are NOT Meta

I did not have a very meta weekend. Becca and I journeyed to Southern Virginia to hike waterfalls, go in historic hot springs (located in Hot Springs, VA - I guess that's something), etc.

The weekend was a reminder to me that, not surprisingly, not all things in life are meta.

For example, here are some things that are definitely NOT meta:

*waterfalls
*sunburns
*expensive drinks
*scenic drives
*warm sulfur springs (debatable)


They are what they are, which is what we perceive them as.

There is also a whole school of philosophy on that (direct realism).

I don't know how anyone majors in philosophy.


In fact, there was only one meta incident all weekend, when we drove through Front Royal, a somewhat depressing "bedroom community" - also known as a dormitory town - where basically everyone commutes to somewhere else to work and they just sleep there at night.

These 'outer suburbs' are by definition "suburbs of suburbs," thereby encompassing probably the most depressing form of meta known to mankind.

Ugh. This is the end of civilization.

On a lighter note, I did manage to snap some some meta photographs, pictures of taking a picture.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The meta-cokebottle

Here's the weekend blog, folks - I'll be gone for two days. Story below brought to you by Richard Lyon, father and meta-nerd.... * My first exposure to meta, besides meta-physics, which I took to mean religion, and therefore not nearly as interesting as physics, was the meta key on keyboards at the MIT AI Artificial Intelligence lab in the late 1970s. They had invented this moby text editor called "emacs" (according to its radical inventor rms, NOT named for the nearby Boston ice-cream shop, Emack & Bolio's , which was named for a couple of homeless guys , even if the text justifier "bolio" was so named). Emacs used what we call "control" or "modifier" keys to control its actions; but "ctrl" was not enough--no, they also had super, meta , and hyper, not to mention front, shift, and top on their space-cadet keyboards . Typical long-form commands were like "meta-x query replace"; here the text "qu...

UPDATED: A tattoo of Tattoo!

This is a tattoo of Tattoo, Mr. Roarke's midget assistant from the show Fantasy Island . Played by Herve Villechaize. No, I had never heard of Tattoo either. It's probably a generational thing. I've included a video of the real Tattoo, for reference. See below.. AWESOME UPDATE!!** The fellow whose arm this is commented below, sharing his story about the tattoo with the world. Thanks Joey! Joey said... "That's my arm you got up there =). The story behind this is my dad asked me why I get tattoos. I told him because I love art. I asked him if he would ever get one. Being the smart ass he is he said "I would get a tattoo of Tattoo from Fantasy Island". I thought that was brilliant and since I have tattoos for my mother, grandmother's and past ex's, I thought it would be nice to get something for the man that raised me. Here's to you Pop"

An Igloo Made of Igloos

This may count as brand interference, or even product placement, but I don't care because it's still meta. Thanks Igloo!  I myself just bought a cute Igloo tote bag at Target to carry drinks in disguise to the park during #coronavirus - big fan. Thank you Marie for this wonderful and timeless contribution to the blog. Keep #thingsthataremeta alive forever!